Friday, December 16, 2005

Ehhhh, That’s All Folks!

Ok, as of 1:30 am (McMurdo Time) my flight back to Christchurch is scheduled for tomorrow at 11am. If it flies, I will have a very brief stopover in Christchurch and then back to the U.S. Needless to say, I am excited and very hopeful.

So on my last day in Antarctica I spent the day mostly in bed, then on a short climb up to a peak overlooking McMurdo and the sound and then in a bar, saying my farewells to the continent. The hike was quite cool. Me and Bob Spotz, the machine shop guy from pole, walked up to the top of a nearby hill, Observation Point, for a look over the surrounding area. About the only point of interest was a large wooden cross that was erected in 1913 in honor of the men who lost their lives on the 1912 Scott expedition to the South Pole.

A view of the volcano, Mt. Erebus that looms large over McMurdo. You can tell its active by the ominous smoke rising from its peak!


The cross in Scott’s honor and Bob Spotz, looking like quite the adventurer.


Another picture of the cross.


McMurdo in all its glory …



The neighbors; the Kiwi (NZ) base located on the other side of the island. The currently functioning airstrip is right outside their base. Every Thursday night the Kiwi base hosts “American Night”. I hear the pub there is quite cool and I totally wanted to head over there last night, but had no company to join me.


Also, check out the cool panorama I took from up top at http://astro.uchicago.edu/~rfriedman/blog/panphotos/obspoint_pan03.

Well, I think that about wraps things up. I’m gonna be in Christchurch for no more than a night, so I don’t think there will be much more to report from there. Then it’s back to Chicago and off to Texas!!!! I can’t wait to get to San Angelo and finally see my tsartisa! It’s been an interesting time for sure, and maybe I’d even do it again. I’m not good at ending things, so I don’t know what to say. Thanks to everyone who read this and wrote comments. In fact, thanks a bunch cause those comments really helped me get through everything. Moreover, I’m sorry for not always answering back, it was mostly due to bad timing and lots of work.

I was thinking of starting a personal blog with pictures, articles and information from my everyday experiences. That would be very boring. Guess I’ll drop that.

Well, thanks again and I love all of you. Wish me luck on my flight tomorrow!

Yours Truly,
Robert “Buddy” Bryan Friedman
One Angry South Pole Elf

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!

5:55 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home