Sunday, November 27, 2005

Notes from Underground, Part 1.

My dear reader, the last time I shared with you my explorations, they were of the surface. Now it is time for me to go underground…

‘I wanted "peace," to be left alone in my underground world. Real life oppressed me with its novelty so much that I could hardly breathe.’ – Fyodor Dostoevsky

I entered the tunnels through the silver tower stairwell on the east end of the new station, fondly and aptly dubbed the “beercan”.



The entrance to the underground was 2 stories or so below the surface.


I proceeded cautiously through the tunnels. Overhead and to my side were power and communication cables and pipes, some looked like water delivery and some looked like sewage. I had no idea where this was leading me!


Then something caught my eye … the pipes turned to my right and I noticed in the distance, a narrow entrance hidden from view, intriguing!


The door was marked with a stern warning prohibiting me from proceeding. I was alone, and the Danger sign seemed serious. As tempted as I was to sneak through, I erred on the side of caution. I know what you are thinking, where is your sense of adventure! Please, do not loose faith my friend, I’m going back!



Well, there wasn’t much more to see past the mystery tunnel. At the end of the service tunnel was a path to the dome and an exit through the maintenance garage.


Through this tunnel lies the dome. The orange building ahead is actually the gym. I wanted to take a few shots, but there were a few girls working out, and I didn’t want to seem like a perv.


This way leads back to the surface through the maintenance garage tubes.


Well, that was a bit of a disappointment for you I am sure, although plenty of fun for me to explore. Still, I don’t mean to disappoint, especially not you. So, I’m going back to the tunnel. I have heard some rumors that it leads to the rodwell, our source of drinking water. Apparently it also leads to the sewage dump, right next to the rod well. Good thing nothing outside stays liquid for very long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home